NAMI Cook County North Suburban
Times and locations are subject to change. Please check our website or call us at 847-716-2252 for up-to-date Support Group and Class listings.
OVERVIEW OF PROGRAMS: All our programs are offered to members and non-members of NAMI CCNS and are provided at no cost to participants.
• Family Support Groups – For family, partners, and friends of adult individuals with mental illness. Share problems you are facing and learn how others have dealt with similar problems. Talk with no fear of stigma or shame with other people and share learned wisdom. Free, confidential, no registration required. Just walk in. You will be welcomed. Offered at five locations. We have evening groups in Skokie, Highland Park, Park Ridge, a Spanish group in Lincolnwood and a Saturday morning group in Evanston. For times and addresses check our website or call us at 847-716-2252.
• Parent Support Groups – For parents and caregivers of children and adolescents with mental health issues such as school phobias, sleep disturbances, difficulties making and keeping friends and holding it together at school, falling apart at home, drugs, rages, depression, anxiety. Free, confidential, no registration required. Just walk in. You will be welcomed. Offered once a month at two locations: evenings in Highland Park and a Spanish group in Lincolnwood. For times and addresses check our website or call us at 847-716-2252.
FAMILY EDUCATION COURSES OFFERED:
• Family to Family – A free 12 week course for family caregivers of adult individuals with severe mental illnesses. This course is taught by trained family members. Current information on brain disorders, medications and side effects, problem solving, crisis preparation, communicating, and finding appropriate supports and services. Usually offered in February in Evanston, March in Northfield, June in Skokie, and September in both Park Ridge and Northfield. Registration and commitment to attend the 12 weeks is required. Call 847-716-2252 for info and to register for upcoming classes.
• NAMI Basics for Parents – A free 6 week educational course for parents/caregivers of school age children – grade thru high school. This course gives information on the biology of mental illness, getting a diagnosis, treatment options, problem solving, crisis prep, dealing with schools and juvenile justice systems. Usually offered spring and fall in various locations. Registration and commitment to attend the 6 weeks is required. Call 847-716-2252 for info and to register for upcoming classes.
INDIVIDUALS WITH MENTAL ILLNESSES:
• Connection Recovery Support Groups – For adults recovering from mental illnesses. Talk with others to share coping strategies and insights, problems and concerns in an encouraging and supportive environment. Confidential and free. No meetings on holidays or holiday weekends. Offered in Evanston, Park Ridge, and East Rogers Park. For times and addresses check our website or call us at 847-716-2252.
• Balance for Success Support Group – For adults seeking to balance recovery with life at college or work, or returning to college or work. Offered evenings in Winnetka. For time and address check our website or call us at 847-716-2252.
• Sundays at One – A social group for adults in recovery.
GENERAL EDUCATION AND ADVOCACY:
• Speakers Bureau – book a public educational presentation for civic groups, schools, libraries, etc.
• Ending the Silence – an educational program for high school students about mental illnesses, how to identify signs and symptoms, possibilities for recovery, and how to help themselves and support one another.
• Bimonthly Public Education Meetings – various topics related to mental illness offered to the public
• FaithNet – an outreach to all religious organizations to provide a supportive environment for those with mental illness and their families.